This mushroom burger is free from meat, eggs, milk, soy and nuts.
To make two mushroom burgers you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 portabello mushroom, diced
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove, garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Approximately 1/2 cup wheat free breadcrumbs or bread
1. Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend to combined. You can leave the mixture chunky if you like or blend until it is completely smooth.
2. Shape the mixture into two burgers. The moisture content of the ingredients varies so if the mixture seems to wet, add more breadcrumbs. If it is overly dry a small amount of water can be added to help it combine.
3. Place the burgers onto greaseproof paper or a baking tray and grill for approximately 5 minutes on each side. The burgers can also be fried in a little oil if preferred.
These delicious vegan mushroom burgers could be varied in many ways, including;
- Adding different herbs and spices – maybe just a garlic burger or chili.
- Adding nutritional yeast for a cheesy taste.
- Top with vegan cheese slices.
- Adding other vegetables or pulses such as tomato, courgette, peppers, lentil or canned beans (pinto, kidney etc) though this may require more breadcrumbs to be added as they will make the mixture wetter.
- Using different types of mushroom used or use a combination of several types.