This recipe is for a delicious gluten free vegan pasta bake. In the past I used to love those packets of pasta you can buy and make up with hot water or milk. The cheese and broccoli one was my favourite but since being gluten, dairy and egg free they were a big no! I fancied some cheesy pasta but had no broccoli in the house. I decided to make a batch of my dairy free cheese sauce and use the lonely looking red onion from the fridge instead.
Gluten Free Vegan Pasta Bake Ingredients
- 1 cup (250ml) soya milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup (227g/8oz) vegan cheese spread
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cornflour, mixed to a paste with a little cold water
- 150g (5oz) gluten free pasta
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- olive oil, for frying
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Place the soya milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic and cheese spread into a pan. Heat gently, stirring until the cheese melts. Do not boil.
- Once the cheese has melted and there are no lumps stir in the cornflour and paprika. Heat stirring, until thickened and remove from the heat.
- Gently fry the onions in a little olive oil.
- Mix together the pasta, onions and cheese sauce. Combine well and place in an oven proof dish.
- Cover and bake for ten minutes at 200c (400f/Gas Mark 6).