These dairy and gluten free chocolate crispy squares are suitable for vegetarians and vegans and make a delicious treat at any time. the mini marshmallows melt easier but if you have trouble finding these, normal marshmallows can be cut into small pieces using scissors.
To vary the recipe different types of chocolate could be used including those that contain nuts or dried fruits, These dairy and gluten free chocolate crispy squares are great made using a milk dark chocolate.
3 cups of rice crispy cereal
5oz (140g) mini marshmallows
¼ cup dairy free spread
½ cup dairy free chocolate or chocolate nut spread
1 cup dairy free chocolate or chocolate nut spread
1 ½ cups dark chocolate (or dairy free milk chocolate)
- Measure out the cereal into a bowl ready to use. Line a 15cm baking dish or pan with greaseproof paper or clingflim.
- Place the mini marshmallows and butter into a pan and heat gently. Keep the heat low so that they do not burn and stir often until almost completely melted.
- Keep the heat turned down low and add the chocolate spread to the marshmallow and butter mix. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in the crispy cereal and mix well so that they are all coated with the chocolate marshmallow mixture. At first it may seem like there isn’t enough but as you continue to stir it will cover the cereal fine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and allow to cool slightly. Press the mix down to firm up the crispy cakes.
- Put the chocolate topping ingredients into a pan and heat gently, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Pour the topping over the crispy cakes and spread with the back of a spoon. Allow to harden before cutting into pieces with a sharp knife to serve.
Super Easy Homemade Dairy and Gluten Free Chocolate Nut Spread
300g dark chocolate (or other dairy free chocolate)
454g jar of peanut butter
You will also need a lidded container large enough to hold approximately twice the amount of peanut butter.
- Empty the peanut butter into a large bowl.
- Break up the chocolate into small pieces and melt it, either slowly in a microwave or in a suitable dish over a pan of boiling water. Stir the chocolate every so often.
- Once the chocolate is melted and smooth pour it onto the peanut butter. Begin stirring the mixture straight away to combine the two.
- The spread can be used straight away but can sometimes be a little soft and even runny. Do not worry about this as it will return to a soft peanut butter like texture.