This recipe is for a quick and easy vegan gluten free sausage casserole. I like to use Secret sausages or tofu sausages in this recipe but any will work. Cooking the sausages first isn’t essential but it stops them from swelling up in the liquid and falling apart. If you vegetarian and don’t need to void wheat, Quorn sausages work really well in this casserole. The recipe is pretty versatile and so you can swap in any beans you have in or even used a can of baked beans.
This recipe makes two large portions and is nice served with mashed potatoes or with bread to mop up the juices. The casserole cooks in a slow cooker but I have also included cooking times for using an oven instead. If you mix all the ingredients together in the slow cooker bowl or other oven proof dish you can save on washing up too! Fry the onions and mushrooms a little before combining with the other ingredients if preferred.
Vegan Gluten Free Sausage Casserole
8 vegan and gluten free sausages, partly cooked/browned
1 onion, sliced
50g mushrooms, sliced
1 500g cartoon of passata
1 can of beads, drained
1 1/2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp garlic
1. Mix together the onion, mushrooms, passata, beans, garlic and paprika to create the casserole sauce.
2. Add the sausages and mix until they are covered in the sauce.
3. Cook in a slow cooker on high for 2 hours or alternatively cover and cook for 30-35 minutes at 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
For an all in one meal:
- Boil 250g/9oz of potatoes until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking prepare the casserole up to step 2 and place in an oven proof dish.
- Mash the potatoes with a little vegan spread.
- Top the casserole with the mashed potatoes.
- Cook uncovered for 30-35 minutes at 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.