This delicious one pot vegan biryani is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. It is also free from many foods people are commonly allergic or intolerant too including wheat, gluten, soya and nuts. The recipe is completely dairy free and contains no animal products.
It is a great recipe for using up those little bits of veg leftover from other recipes. Feel free to use whichever vegetables you like best or happen to have that need using up. The recipe freeze well and this one pot vegan meal can also be eaten cold.
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 30 min Ready in: 45 min Yields: Serves 4
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice, cooked (see note)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water, hot
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 cups vegetables of your choice
- 1/2 can chickpeas or other pulse
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add turmeric, salt, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cayenne. Cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Pour in the hot water and add all of the vegetables and chickpeas. Stir well and cover.
- Simmer gently until all the vegetables are tender. Add more water during cooking if needed and salt to taste.
- If you feel there is too much liquid left once the vegetables are cooked, 1tbsp cornflour mixed with a little cold water can be used to thicken the sauce.
- Stir in the cooked rice and serve.